Author & Speaker
Invite Mary DeMocker to your class, group, rally or conference!
DeMocker inspires parents, educators, clinicians, eco-justice advocates, faith communities, literary audiences, and students from elementary to grad school with lively talks on how to change our systems– not just our light bulbs.. Contact Mary now.
What people are saying about Mary’s talks:
“Mary’s presentation to my class was a breath of fresh air to students overwhelmed by our global climate crisis. They walked in cynical and left an hour later fired up. Some said she was the most inspiring speaker they’d ever heard in any environmental studies class.”
“I have had Mary DeMocker speak in my classes multiple times and it is always transformative. I learn so much myself! Her passion, creativity and ability to not just connect with young people but mobilize them is a breath of fresh air.”
“Mary DeMocker is consistently one of my undergrad students’ favorite presenters. And no wonder. She brings the idea of “artivism” – the powerful addition of artistic creativity to protest – to students who have never considered raising their voices in this way. Mary is unique among presenters because she strives to make a meaningful connection, sitting with the students and asking for their stories before proceeding to raise awareness (read: blow their young minds) as only she can.”
“My sculpture students were deeply inspired by Mary’s lecture in our class. Her presentation motivated them to think in new and ambitious ways about the potential for art and activism to come together in public spaces. Her ideas continued to resonate with us throughout the term.”
“Mary was informative, passionate and so patient – our crew is fired up!”
Connect with Mary on social media:
- 2021 Interview on WYNC's The Brian Lehrer Show
- PIELC 2021 Virtual Panel - "How to Talk With and Empower Youth in the Climate Crisis" - Moderated by Mary
- 2021 Weather Channel interview: Kids & climate crisis
- "So Your Kids Are Stressed Out About The Climate Crisis: Here's how to help" article, Sierra Magazine
- Minding Nature Journal reprinted Mary's Sun Magazine interview with Kathleen Dean Moore on the moral urgency of the climate crisis.
- Seattle's Child features Mary in Author Chat
- National Geographic Family (caveat: All of Mary's quotes on system change & civics with kids were cut.)
- Mary's TEDx talk! Re-Storying Our Future With Your Creativity
- Review of Jamie Margolin's book "Youth to Power" in Sierra Magazine
- Mary featured in Washington Post article about families prioritizing system change
- Mary interviewed by Michael Krasny on KQED’s The Forum
- NPR article "How to Talk to Kids About Climate Change" quotes Mary. The podcast -- different from the article -- recommends book!
- AUDIOBOOK version of The Parents' Guide to Climate Revolution!
- Check out the many wonderful reviews on Goodreads and Amazon -- and add your own!
The Parents' Guide
to Climate Revolution:
100 Ways to Build a Fossil-Free Future, Raise Empowered Kids, and Still Get a Good Night's Sleep
"This is a book for anyone, of any age, who believes in the power of human creativity, or anyone who needs a dose of hope. It’s not too late to seek a newer world."
— Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods
"Trust me, most of this is going to be fun."
— Bill McKibben, cofounder of 350.org and author of The End of Nature
“Mary DeMocker’s new book is an essential resource for parents . . . incredibly refreshing.”
— Sierra Magazine
"A treat to read. I couldn’t put it down."
— Mary C. Wood, author of Nature’s Trust
"I love this book . . . wonderful, inspiring . . . brimming with ideas"
— Scott D. Sampson, PhD, author of How to Raise a Wild Child and host of PBS Kids Dinosaur Train
"At last, genuinely practical and powerful answers to the question, what can I do to push back against fossil fuels and promote climate sanity? The book is brilliant. It’s honest. It’s funny. Here’s what you can do—right now."
— Kathleen Dean Moore, author of Great Tide Rising
"Wise, subtle, fun, and informative — this is a book to savor, dog-ear, bookmark, highlight, and press into another person’s hands."
— Peter Hoffmeister, author of Too Shattered for Mending
"This book will empower you and your children to walk hand in hand to turn the tides, gently but effectively, on the biggest issue we face."
— Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, youth director of Earth Guardians and author of We Rise: The Earth Guardians Guide to Building a Movement that Restores the Planet
"Encouraging, entertaining and, most of all, deeply empowering."
— Catia Juliana, climate activist and mother of Kelsey Juliana, youth plaintiff in the Juliana v. U.S. climate lawsuit against the federal government
". . .an invaluable handbook. . ."
— Jeremy Brecher, author of Against Doom: A Climate Insurgency Manual
"Mary DeMocker . . . makes it easy for us to create a better future for all children."
— Kitty Piercy, three-term mayor of Eugene, Oregon voted “Most Valuable Local Official” (the Nation, 2010)
"This is a guilt-free roadmap to saving ourselves in order to save the planet."
— Stephanie LeMenager, author of Living Oil: Petroleum Culture in the American Century
"For the love of children and our planet, devour this essential book . . ."
—Julia Olson, Executive Director of Our Children’s Trust and Lead Counsel in Juliana v. U.S.
" ...includes resources, tools, and projects to engage kids on climate change."
—The New York Times