About Mary DeMockerAuthor, Speaker & Artivist
About Mary DeMocker
Mary has reveled in an artistic life, performing harp, dressing sets for NYC film productions, and now using the arts to mobilize for climate justice. A National Endowment for the Arts grant recipient, Mary may be the first harpist to perform in both The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, where she worked with composer John Cage, and the subway stop under Bloomingdales. (Learn more about Mary’s harp teaching.)
Mary studied at Eastman School of Music and University of Oregon’s School of Music and has performed widely, including solo appearances at major music festivals. She toured with the original interactive musical “The Incredible Earth Circus” in schools for Earth Day 1990, and was later commissioned to write six children’s plays, three of which are still regularly performed across the U.S. and abroad. In 2013, Mary co-founded Eugene’s chapter of the international climate action group 350.org and became creative director, specializing in interactive art protests.
Mary’s writing has appeared in The Sun, EcoWatch, Common Dreams, Mothering.com, Spirituality & Health, Oregon Quarterly, and ISLE (Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment). She lives in Oregon with her family.
- April 19: Official Launch Party & Open House, Tsunami Books, Eugene OR, Thurs. 6:30pm
- April 21: Earth Day Art Show & Awards, Eugene Public Library, Eugene OR, 3pm
- April 24: Author Event: Third Place Books– Ravenna location, 6504 20th Ave. NE, Seattle WA, 7pm
- May 22: Author Event: Boulder Books, 1107 Pearl St., Boulder, CO, 7:30pm
- May 23: Author Event: Tattered Cover Bookstore, 2526 E. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO, 7pm
- June 2: Author Event: Novel Bookstore, 387 Perkins Ext, Memphis, Tennessee, 3pm
- Aug 11: Summer Reading Series Talk, Eugene Public Library, 100 W 10th Ave., Eugene OR, 3pm