(Chapter 66 in my book features this list — as well as recipes for Crunchy Caramel Corn Popcorn and Forrest’s Too-Spicy-for-Mom Popcorn — find them below!)
For young kids . . .
- Born to Be Wild
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
- Earth (Disney’s)
- Knut & Friends
- The Man Who Planted Trees
- March of the Penguins
- Winged Migration
Fictional and fictionalized stories:
- Dolphin Tale
- The Lorax
- Fly Away Home
For older kids . . .
- A Fierce Green Fire
- Food, Inc.
- The Great Invisible
- In Defense of Food
- Biggest Little Farm
- Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- Taking Root: The Vision of Wangari Maathai
- We the People 2.0
- Who Killed the Electric Car?
- Before the Flood
- Chasing Ice
- Chasing Coral
- How to Let Go of the World and Love All the Things Climate Can’t Change
- An Inconvenient Truth
- No Impact Man
- This Changes Everything
- Years of Living Dangerously (TV series)
- Woman at War (Not Rated film about eco-sabotage — I’d call it PG-13)
*** Crunchy Caramel Corn***
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided in half
- 1⁄3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup (or honey or agave nectar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
In a large pot with a lid, heat half the coconut oil until it melts, then
add the popcorn kernels. Cover, and cook on high until the popcorn is
popped. In a saucepan, combine the remaining coconut oil, maple syrup,
and salt. Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Drizzle
over popcorn and toss to coat popcorn evenly. For an extra-crunchy treat,
spread caramel popcorn evenly onto two cookie sheets. Bake on 250oF for
one hour. Enjoy!
*** Forrest’s Too-Spicy-for-Mom Popcorn ***
Cook the popcorn in the same way as the recipe above. Then make the
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Bragg’s Amino Acids or tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoon brewer’s yeast
- Cayenne pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Pour over popcorn and toss around. Use
as much cayenne as you can handle. Wash hands (before rubbing eyes).
Warn Mom before she eats any. Enjoy!